June 5, 2011

Dyeing a new palette: Magenta and friends


Last summer I dyed fabric in what I think of as my "pine grove" palette. I was very pleased with the results. Not only did I get the colors I wanted (thanks to the workshop I did with Carol Soderlund), but I also got a very nice solid using the flat-dyeing technique of Robin Ferrier. But this time I cut a couple of corners, and much of the fabric is mottled with water spots:


Well, now I know more about what I need to do to get the look I want!

This palette originates from a small piece I did a few years ago with commercial fabrics:

Then I saw a concert by Sweet Honey in the Rock, and they were wearing costumes in these colors, but with green and orange added in. Even better! I bought Kona cotton in these colors and did a couple of small pieces, including this one:


I don't have a photo of the finished quilt, but here's a close-up of some of the quilting I did:


So, I'd like to have a stock of these colors in hand-dyed fabric. For a first project, I'm thinking of a half-square triangle quilt like this one by Katie of "Sew Katie Did."

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, Bloglines didn't alert me to this new post. I was just checking out your blogs because I was surprised you hadn't posted recently.

    Since I am the proud owner of the hanging, would you like me to take a picture and send it you? Or, when you're here in July, you can take your own picture since it's in the MD house.

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These colors are vibrant and exciting, Penny! Can't wait to see what you do with these.

    ReplyDelete